After the success of the first volume, the New Guide that will fascinate female travelers is now published in Italian
To read like a novel: 50 new destinations, ten exclusive itineraries, a thousand stories, long expeditions and one day visits around the corner, experiences and encounters, in the most beautiful and interesting places in the world, suggested, tested, guided, invented by women.
For solo travelers, with friends or family.
Buy it on line here and in italian bookstores
After the crisis, tourism will only improve if a 'gender lens' is used: we will take you to visit women employed in tourism around the world, and we will narrate you about those who have become a symbol of resilience.
Independent Women Travelers can prepare for the new seasons, anticipating from now on the meetings with the protagonists of the most original journeys, reading or talking to them, choosing and learning, waiting to go.
• Plan a café or visit a hair saloon with friends in Tehran, a course in the Umbrian rose gardens. canoeing on Lake Titicaca, searching for bears in the Canadian forest, shopping directly from Indian artisans, a wedding in the Icelandic tundra
• Read how NGO projects are born in countries where peace is needed, which ones are awarded by the United Nations and which trips we like because they contribute to development and cooperation
• Have fun with Rita Pantano's curiosities about the female Gran Tour in Sicily (Virginia Wolf and many more), the recommendations of the "commentator" grandmother with granddaughter, and don't miss the horoscope, to find out who your reference explorer is.
• Become friends with Moida who drives taxis in Delhi or Miriam who has returned to Calabria to organize a small silk road
• Discover the places that are truly accessible to everyone, what foraging is, who hosts communities, who forms unemployed people for new successful businesses, who hosts the children of mothers who have to work during lockdwon.
• Go immediately to dozens of small nearby towns, to guides, weavers, cooks, artisans, artists, to farms and shops in the countryside, to shop, walk in the woods, rent a bicycle, ride rivers or climb mountains, in perfect loneliness and security, led by women who have never closed.
This unusual and stimulating combination of a thousand landscapes and characters is a tribute to women employed in tourism.
A universe of about 150 million women (considering the formal, the informal and the related tasks of the hospitality industry), who alone contribute to 5% of world GDP, which according to the data make projects longer lasting and are more reliable, and who would contribute to a 26% increase in global GDP if the gender gap were closed.
As the UN agencies have said: "Responsible tourism, that employs women equally, can be the lever on which to focus to overcome the great global challenges, poverty and inequalities".
Yet women in tourism are still paid less, they work invisibly and informally.
While women have been the ones on whose shoulders most activities and problems have been supported during the 2020 pandemic, millions of women around the world lost their jobs at the reopening.
Particularly in informal and unprotected sectors, such as agriculture, care activities, tourism, with consequences especially on female work. In Italy, the number of new female businesses dropped by 42% compared to men's ( also, they are 4% poorer, unemployment rate dropped by 18 points, lower incomes by 25%, 4% more among young women, and 65% women give up work for family care jobs) . In developing Countries with a tourism-based economy millions of women have fallen into poverty within days.
But there is more:
• more and more women travel and more and more young girls are leaving alone (tripled in ten years),
• the tourism of the future will be more sustainable,
• entrepreneurs and travelers together create an empathic, healthy, nostalgic, participatory, emotional, experiential "woman brand".
Let's make more trips to women entrepreneurs to help female employment and the economy: with this goal, the New Guide for Independent Women Travellers Travelers is added to the campaigns and international projects of Gender Responsible Tourism.
The meeting between entrepreneurs and travelers creates a large market that we want to grow: we want to bring together supply and demand, as you can see in the dozens of trips created exclusively for us in the guides, on the Special Offers page on the site, on the FB social pages and Instagram for the exchange of ideas of free travelers.
As you will find on this New Guide:
• Meet the Resilient women: with the pastry chefs of Norcia, already the first to open after the earthquake and now the first to open after the lock down, inventing picnic baskets to taste the chocolate in the woods; or like the guides in Nepal, who thanks to the crisis-fund have used the time of closure to look for new villages, for example, as many more
• Take part in many projects for your travels in the coming years, coming into contact with those who have created the exclusive itineraries for Free Travelers, from New Zealand to Calabria, from Peru to Veneto.
• Be on the side of those who say there will be no recovery without gender equality. We ask in tourism: allocation of funds for the care economy, an assessment of the gender impact in every decision and planning, disaggregated data, the integration of the gender dimension applied to budgets and investments.
At the moment the Guidebook is only in Italian but we are planning to translate it in English.
Would you be interested in reading it in English?
Please let us know writing at firstname.lastname@example.org
LET'S PUT A GENDER LENS ON RESPONSIBLE TOURISM'S FUTURE
READ THE FIRST OFFERS ON THE SPECIAL OFFERS OF GRT
PARTICIPATE ON JOIN US
ARE YOU AN ENTREPRENEUR? READ OUR INQUIRY IN THE DOSSIER ABOUT CRISIS
ARE YOU A TRAVELER? FOLLOW US ON THE INDEPENDENT WOMEN TRAVELERS FACEBOOK PAGE